If you are a cyclist, your bicycle (also referred to as a pedal cycle in some policies) can be covered with a separate insurance policy that covers theft, accidental damage, damage to wheels and tyres and crash damage to your bike.

Depending on the inclusions, your policy might also cover your bike when it is used internationally, in competition or off-road.

If you plan to enter competitive bicycle competitions, check with your insurer on the extent of your coverage, particularly if you are travelling overseas.

Some policies allow you to specify a replacement sum insured and to list certain modifications and accessories.

To find an insurer that offers these types of policies, visit www.findaninsurer.com.au